health care services
Woollahra's local family practice
Your doctors at Woollahra General Practice are seeing patients face-to-face, provided they have no cold or flu-like symptoms. We are here to support you. Please call:
Monday to Thursday 8.30am – 6.00pm
Friday 8.30am – 5.30pm
Saturday & Sunday Closed
After Hours Doctor call:
Holiday closure: We will be closed from the 22nd Dec until the 2nd Jan. Please contact the after hours service above or present to your local Emergency department if you require urgent medical attention.
We encourage face to face appointments, so unless you have respiratory symptoms such as those mentioned in the COVID alert below, please come into the practice to see your GP.
MyMedicare is a voluntary patient registration system which aims to formalise the relationship with patients and their GP. Seeing your GP regularly and formalising this relationship can lead to better health outcomes. By registering as a patient at your chosen practice and selecting your preferred GP, additional funding will be available from the government to assist your primary care team deliver the care you need.
This registration is free and as already mentioned voluntary, and is open to all Australians with a Medicare card and DVA card.
By registering for MyMedicare you may benefit from:
- A formalized relationship with your GP and General Practice
- Longer Medicare Benefit Scheme (MBS) funded telehealth consultations
- Incentive for longer telehealth for children under 16 and Commonwealth Card Concession holders, from Nov 1st 2023
- More regular visits from your GP and better care planning for people living in a residential aged care home, from August 2024.
- Connections to more appropriate care in general practice for people who visit hospital frequently, from mid-2024.
Lastly, MyMedicare will not hold any of your clinical health information, My Health record will continue to store this (if you have one).
Please use the link below to see some frequently asked questions.
MyMedicare Frequently Asked Questions
Shringrix, a vaccine to prevent shingles, has been added to the immunization schedule as of 1st November 2023 and is funded as a 2-dose course for adults over 65, Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander adults aged 50 and over, and for immunocompromised adults aged 18 years and over with specific medical risk conditions. Please speak to your GP about this. It is a new recombinant vaccine which will replace Zostavax.
ALERT – WGP and all practices are currently limited in the amount of Shingrix we can order at one time. Please be aware we will be vaccinating those most at risk as a priority.
WGP has a long history of providing quality healthcare to all patients and the local community. General Practices in Australia are facing significant challenges, due to the rising costs of operating a practice and the chronic ongoing underfunding of Medicare. In view of this, we will no longer be able to provide as many bulk billed consultations as we currently do.
Moving forward there will be a private fee for all consultations, including telehealth (video) and telephone appointments.
Disadvantaged pensioners and health care card holders may be bulk billed at the doctor’s discretion. If you are experiencing financial hardship, please discuss this with your doctor at the time of your consultation.
Thank you for your understanding and patience during this transition.
We take the safety and wellbeing of our patients, doctors, and staff most seriously.
We request that ALL patients with viral symptoms book telehealth consultations before visiting us in person. Video is a highly recommended option.
It is up to each GP to make a judgement and assess their own level of risk before deciding to see you face to face.
Therefore, if you are experiencing symptoms of fever or respiratory infection DO NOT ATTEND the practice, but DO call reception who will make arrangements for you to have a phone or video consultation with a doctor 9360 4712.
If your symptoms become serious you should call 000.
Please note we are not routinely testing for COVID-19 at the practice.
The National Corona Virus Information Line is 1800 020 080.
Whilst we are all dealing with the coronavirus pandemic, we would also like to reassure you that we are here for you.
Appointments which should not be postponed include; childhood immunisations, skin checks, chronic disease management, mental health, pre & post-natal checks, and any unusual findings of concern.
Please contact reception and an appointment will be made for you.
We thank you for your understanding
- Woollahra General Practice is continuing to provide booster shots for people requiring them.
- Booster shots are recommended for over 18 year olds, either 6 months from your last Covid vaccine or from a Covid illness. For 5-17 year olds, boosters are recommended only for immunocompromised children.
- New Vaccine options will be available in mid – late January 2023
- To manage vaccine vials appropriately, these appointments are best made by phone.
- Please call the practice to make an appointment with a GP or the practice nurse.
- Please note, new patients to the practice will need to see a GP on their first visit.
- If you do not have a Medicare card you will need to get your vaccine from another provider.
- We are currently offering Pfizer.
We encourage mask wearing in the practice for anyone with respiratory or viral symptoms.
Information For You
- All patient information and medical records are strictly confidential in accordance with the Privacy Act www.oaic.gov.au.
- Your privacy is important to us and we adhere to the strictest guidelines as set out by Royal Australian College of General Practice (RACGP) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APP).
- Please phone the surgery on tel: 02 9360 4712 to make an appointment, or Click Here to book online. Urgent problems will be fitted in. We will accommodate walk-ins where possible on the day.
- Appointment types:
- Face to face
- Telehealth via video or telephone
- Please notify reception if you are contagious.
- Please request a longer consultation time for more than one problem.
- In case of emergency please dial 000.
- Please be aware we are closed on all public holidays and weekends inclusive.
- In case of an emergency please present at your local hospital or call 000.
- Please contact us via the link if you are requesting a script or referral outside of a consultation. Be aware there is a fee of $25 for these types of requests.
- Please be aware Ozdocs is no longer available
- To book other online services, click the book appointment box & Hotdoc, our online provider, will walk you through how to make an online booking
- When requesting information from Woollahra General Practice it is important you understand that our email system is not considered secure.
- Our policy requires that you email us stating that you understand this and then your request will be passed onto your treating GP.
- Your GP will then make a judgement as to whether the information requested is too compromising or sensitive in nature to be sent via email.
- When using this website, please go to the ”contact us” page and put your request in the message box, acknowledging the policy mentioned above.
- We will endeavour to respond to your query by the following business day.
- Email services may incur an out of pocket fee.
If you are unable to attend the surgery due to ill-health and you are a regular patient of the practice, home visits may be available at GP discretion
The practice also looks after patients in nursing homes, hostels and private hospitals (who have visiting rights), again this availability is at the discretion of the GP, please phone the practice to enquire 02 9360 4712
- Your doctor will advise you at the time of consultation how to follow up your results.
- Please allow 24 hours for your GP to respond if making a request online or over the phone.
- A $25 fee will be charged for renewal of scripts and referrals outside of a consultation.
- Your doctor may request a review.
- This is a private billing practice, we do not bulk bill.
- There will be out of pocket expenses when consulting a GP at the Practice.
- WGP fee’s as of 1st April 2023
- Item 23 – $95 out of pocket $55
- Item 36 – $160 out of pocket $83
- Item 44 – $230 out of pocket $116
- Credit card facilities and eftpos are available.
- Disadvantaged Australian health care card holders, pension card holders and Veterans Affairs cardholders will be bulk-billed at the doctors discretion.
- Woollahra General Practice uses the medical software Best Practice to manage your health records. Only staff access your health information when medically relevant or required. The computers are secure and we invest in round the clock IT services to maintain the highest level of security. If third parties require access to your records this is only achieved after the practice receives consent from you.
- My Health Record is an online summary of your key health information, contributed to by yourself, doctors at your request, and Medicare.
- Visit the My Health Record website.
- Over time, My Health Record will bring together health information such as medical conditions, allergies, vaccinations, medications, and test results in one place. This means safer and more efficient care for you and your family.
- Please contact Rebekah Calder, Practice Manager
- If you have a complaint please contact Health Care Complaints Commission telephone 02 9219 7444.
WGP has a strong sense of community with the art movement of Paddington and Woollahra and especially enjoy celebrating people’s differences and individuality.